Saturday, June 7, 2014

Teach Now (Teacher Certification): Role of Special Education in Tomorrow's World

Module 2 Unit 3 Activity 2


I have been teaching close to ten years in Korea and I have never had a single disabled student, in my classroom, nor worked with anyone with learning difficulties. I only started my path as a teacher when I arrived to this country. During the first two years I was here, I was a private tutor for students of all ages. I was teaching children from six years of age up to adults attending university. On my third year here, I got my first job teaching at a university and that is where I have worked for the remainder of the years.  I’d like to think that the reason I haven’t had much involvement with disabled students in my classes is purely by chance.  I sometimes wonder if that’s the case, or if it’s society I live in.
Korea is the land of my parents and ancestors and for that I will always have a deep rooted love for it. Living here I have learned so many things about its culture and people. Like any other country, it has its qualities and its defects.
This is a place where image is of utter importance. You notice it as soon as you arrive to this airport. It is futuristic and grandiose. It makes a great first impression. In my last 10 years here, I have noticed that the facilities for the disabled have increased tremendously. Today, almost all major sidewalks have tactile pavings, all subway entrances have elevator access, every bathroom has a disability stall, and many places including schools are required by law to have wheelchair access, to name a few. There is still a long way to go in the infrastructures especially in older areas, but the change has been remarkable to say the least. With all of this, one would suspect encountering more people with disabilities attending educational establishments and regularly using these facilities, but that is not the case.
Many limitations are still apparent in the Korean education, especially when it comes to diversity in schools. In this educational system, needs are not met for individual students. Instead it commands to conform to the majority and their “standards”. Because of this, it is very difficult for children with disabilities to attend mainstream schools. Korea is the most homogenous country in the world and the bigger problem lies within how the Korean society as a whole, views people with special needs. Being different is shameful and people with physical disabilities are often stigmatized. This causes many of them to attend separate schools to obscure themselves from the rest of the population.
I am hopeful that the situation can shift to a path of notable improvement. Although the societal views have not shifted much about people with disabilities, infrastructure wise, Korea has taken a huge leap to better conditions for these people and at least, that creates more awareness.
On that note I believe that personalized learning in special education is truly important. When it comes to children with disabilities, no two students will be the same and teaching them in one approach for a certain subject will not be beneficial for some.  Because of this, modifying the pace of instruction so that the teaching is more individualized is very important for the students. Adjusting the learning approach so that the instruction is differentiated also something that teachers need to consider with each of their children. Factoring student interests and favoring their experiences (with what they can/can’t do) can help learning become more personalized. The traditional teaching method handles all learners in the same manor regardless of their unique strengths and needs. The only way in which we should treat these students in the same manor is by having them in a classroom with other children their age, as much as possible.
In tomorrow’s world, I believe that technology is going to play a major part in personalized learning with special needs students as it will assist them in multiple ways. Different technology and devices should be available for various needs. Personalized learning is not so much about the technology, but about how that technology will help these learners improve in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment