Monday, October 6, 2014

Teach Now (Teacher Certification): Final Reflection

Module 5 Unit 5 Activity 3



Final Reflection

After having written a unit plan with multiple lessons, I think that that process may be very tedious and detailed, but it will  be useful to have for future reference. It will impact my teaching in the future because if there was a case where I were to be absent, a substitute teacher could teach the class by following the lesson plan provided. They could just walk in and teach the lesson because they will have it all laid out in detail and they should be able to follow it step by step and have all the materials ready for it as well.

Lesson plans contribute to student learning because after the teacher thinks about what could work to optimize time and learning and teaches a certain lesson, they can go back and revise the lesson plan. By thinking about what worked or didn't work for the students and for that class can help the lesson improve in the future. The next time they teach it, the lesson should be better organized and the students should have an easier time acquiring the information taught.

My favorite part about making a lesson plan is the idea that I will be able to collect all my work in one file and have it for future reference no matter where I go. My least favorite part of it was that it was a long process to write every detail of the lesson plans.

The lesson plans help me prepare for the lessons by having them ready in advance but to be honest, I usually use my text book and have various post-it notes with different colors to refer to. Sometimes it is hard to find where I am in a lesson plan and instead of reading and going through the whole lesson plan I've made, it is much easier to refer to the different color coded post-it notes I have. I guess this works for me as I have been doing this for a few years now.

If I were to write this module, I would provide examples of different templates that a teacher  might get with different headings so that we could be more familiar with different systems in various schools.

In sum, I don’t think it was necessary to write five lesson plans. Three could have been enough for this activity as it just seemed like busy-work towards the end. I like that our instructor changed the last lesson plan to a summative assessment as we haven’t had much practice writing these and it gave us something else to think about when writing our lesson plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment