Monday, October 28, 2013

Something Seriously Wrong with Curriculums

Do you have a gut feeling that there is something inherently wrong with our curriculum?
Grant Wiggins really hits the nail on the nose with this post:


Essentially what he is getting at, is that curriculums are not really focusing on making the students learn and use that knowledge to grow or expand. We are just using learning content that already exists, without a chance to advance further than that. If we compare it to teaching soccer to kids, we are basically only teaching them the rules and techniques in lectures but not letting them experience the game.

This was such an eye opener for me as an educator and really helps me see that we are so focused on the “system”, that we are not focusing on what is of importance and conducive to helping our students learn. One of the points that Grant made, that really stuck with me is that that if this formula that we have created for our students to learn and retain things works so well, then why are such things like stories and movies often times much more memorable than the classes we have taken?

This really affects me by making me think about what I’m teaching in my classes and how I can make them better. Sitting down and thinking about each class that I actually teach, most of the time I AM just teaching the “rules of the game” instead of letting them play the game where the ball comes from all angles, and unexpected passes are tossed their way by different players.

One great thing about the establishment I currently work at is that I have the freedom to experiment with my students.  This article has really made me think about where my lesson plans should be heading. The real challenge might be getting the students to play “the game”?  :) 

2 comments:

  1. Some great insights here Analia. For me, I really think your point about experimentation is fantastic. I believe that as educators we should not only allow our students to experiment with the information we give them but we should also experiment with our lessons. I have found, and I am sure you have too, that it is really easy to rely on our previous year's lessons. Unfortunately, this could lead to stagnation on our part and 'zombification' on the student's part. I am always changing my lessons and trying something new. I am sure you are too! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post I recommend looking at the article The Power of Play in Learning by Aran Levasseur, it was very thought provoking and he addresses similar points that you made in your post.Your belief that as educators we teach the students how to do, but don’t give them the chance to experience. I agree with you and think that this flaw in education needs to be corrected.
    I often use the analogy of building a bicycle when discussing the Korean approach to learning English. Many students can name the different parts, their function and some are even able to build the bicycle. But, then you say great, go for a ride and they reply that they don’t know how. I feel that too much emphasis is placed on the grammatical components of learning English and not enough given to the basic conversational skills needed to use the language.
    I have been posting this quote everywhere because after reading it I felt that truer words have never been written.
    “ The more you do, the more you can do.” William Hazlitt

    ReplyDelete