Monday, September 15, 2014

Teach Now (Teacher Certification): Video and Reflection

Module 4 Unit 6 Activity 4



Video and Reflection

Both Ms. Felix and Mr. Torres started the school year trying to genuinely get to know their students using name cards, superstar boards, introductions etc. This is a great way to enable students to feel better integrated, comfortable in their classrooms, and to get to like their teachers. I have also tried these techniques in my classes and I believe those teachers and myself are very similar in the way that we respect, love and show care for our students. I do have to admit that I am a bit stricter at the beginning of the school year, because it is easier to loosen up than to try and enforce stricter rules to a rambunctious classroom later.  

As the video progressed, I could see that Mr. Torres and Ms. Felix had issues with their classroom management. Being nice to your students and just showing them that you care is not going to make a classroom organize or behave itself. The teachers had problems because they were not very strict with the rules and the procedures were not clear to the students from the beginning of the year. Though Ms. Felix’s idea of brainstorming rules and consequences with her students was great, she did not follow through and enforce these as the year progressed. As I stated before, it is much easier to start off strict than try to gain control of an unmanageable classroom.

Having high expectations and challenging the students was a good way to manage the classroom. Ms. Felix’s warm up activity was very easy and because of this, the students started playing around without focusing on what they were supposed to do. When teachers make activities that are challenging and focus on learning instead of giving easy tasks such as just copying a picture and labeling it as she did it actually makes the students want to learn and accept the challenge and apply themselves especially if the topic is of interest. Mr. Torres did a better by enabling students to use math and solve real world problems. This also makes the exercise more authentic and the kids focus more when it feels like it is a real problem that they are solving.

One great thing that I do and I heard the mentor speak about was that there should be a certain tone used when expectations are not met. When a student crosses the line, is disrespectful, or another serious issue occurs, the teacher must be able to use a firmer tone demanding more authority. They must be able to correct the behavior instantly and give feedback explaining what is an acceptable or an unacceptable behavior in the classroom.

Overall I haven’t had major issues with behavior in my classroom so far as I am lucky to live in South Korea where the students are very respectful but I am also known in my department for being a little stricter than others. I make sure my rules and procedures are very clear from the beginning of the year and make sure I enforce them throughout the year. This is very important but I also make sure that I demonstrate that I am a caring educator who really respects and cares about my students and their learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment