Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Teach Now (Teacher Certification): Teacher Interviews: Strategies for Technology-Enhanced Intstruction

Module 3 Unit 2 Activity 1


Guiding Questions for Use of Technology in the Classroom

Checklist
1. Are you familiar with your school’s policies of usage of technology in your classroom?
2. Are the lesson objectives enhanced by the usage of technology?
3. Will all students have access to the device used for your lesson?
4. Did you put the lesson into practice prior to this class?
5. Do you have a backup plan?
6. Do the students easily understand how to use the technological device?
7. Do the students understand why they are using the technological device?
8. Is the usage of technology interesting and interactive for the students?
9. Can the technology be adapted to different lessons in your class?
10. Can technology be adapted to different levels of students’ abilities?

Questionnaire

1. What digital tools can you use in your classroom?

2. How do you integrate technology into your classroom?

3. How do you decide if using technology enhances the lesson?

4. Why do you find it useful to use technology in your classroom?

5. How often do you use technology in your classes?

6. Who controls the digital tools, the teacher, the student, or both?

7.  Did you ever have a bad experience using technology?

8. How could it have been prevented?

9. Do you find technology helps or hinders learning for your students?


10. What future digital tools would you like to see/ use?

Questionnaire Responses

Teachers Interviewed:

·         Melodi Crowson: ELL invited professor at Bucheon University, South Korea

·         Broderick Read: ELL invited professor at Bucheon University, South Korea

·         Laura Brackett: ELL instructor at Kidstown, Bucheon University, South Korea

·         Robert Bienker: Ell invited professor at Bucheon University, South Korea


1. What digital tools can you use in your classroom?

·         Melodi: I have access to a PC, projector, and speakers in most of my classes. Oh, and internet.

·         Broderick: A computer and projector. Most of my students have smartphones. We have internet and a sound system but sometimes they don’t work.

·         Laura: We can use the computer, screen and projector. We also have internet access and many children’s CDs.

·         Robert: All my classes are equipped with a computer, screen, projector and speakers. We also have free internet attached to the computer.

2. How do you integrate technology into your classroom?

·         Melodi: I use PowerPoint mostly to explain some of my lessons to my students. I also incorporate some games and videos.

·         Broderick: I often use PowerPoint and Prezi to conduct my classes. I use YouTube often for some lessons such as The Kimchi Chronicles.

·         Laura: I often use CDs and speakers to teach music to my class. I sometimes use the projector so they can look at the words when they are singing.

·         Robert: I use it to explain lessons and also to demonstrate examples and ideas in my classroom. Sometimes I use it for entertainment so my students can be more engaged.


3. How do you decide if using technology enhances the lesson?

·         Melodi: If it doesn’t waste too much time to get a point across, and my students enjoy it and are learning from using the technology, then I know it is beneficial.

·         Broderick: If it’s my elementary school students and if they are more engaged in the learning process.

·         Laura: I teach music, so having music to sing along definitely enhances my lesson.

·         Robert: For me it is an extra tool as I am not very good with technology. I use it if I think it will be easier for me to explain something to my students whose English levels are very low.

4. Why do you find it useful to use technology in your classroom?

·         Melodi: I find it easier to explain things visually especially because a lot of my students’ English level is so low.

·         Broderick: Because it makes my lessons more dynamic and fun for my students.

·         Laura: The kids I teach are very young, and technology really helps keep their attention span and focus for longer. It also makes it more interesting and fun for them.

·         Robert: I find it useful because sometimes it saves time, for example I don’t have to waste time writing on the board if I already have it on a slide.

5. How often do you use technology in your classes?

·         Melodi: Um, I would say at least 3 times out of the 4 times I teach.

·         Broderick: In the last few years, pretty much every class.

·         Laura:  Every day and in all my classes.

·         Robert: Not always, but very often.


6. Who controls the digital tools, the teacher, the student, or both?

·         Melodi: I usually do when I’m teaching them via a presentation tool but they get to control their own smart phones if I decide to use them in class.

·         Broderick: Generally I control the technology, but I do have lessons where the students get to use either the handheld devices, or come up to use the computer.

·         Laura: Only me, oh and my assistant. The kids are too young to be using the computer and they might break something so I’m the only one allowed to control the technology.

·         Robert: It’s usually me, but I have exercises where I get the student to use their phones for research.

7.  Did you ever have a bad experience using technology?

·         Melodi: Once I forgot to save my PowerPoint onto my USB and I had to waste 10 minutes walking back to my office to go and get it.

·         Broderick: Yes, I’ve had some bad experiences when the technology failed and didn’t have a back-up plan for my class, and sometimes the internet didn’t work.

·         Laura: Yes, the speakers didn’t work and I was already panicking about my class as I don’t play an instrument.

·         Robert: Yes, many times as I am not very good with computers and technology to start with.


8. How could it have been prevented?

·         Melodi: Well, now I have started saving things on my USB and also emailing it to myself, just in case I forget, or in case my USB breaks.

·         Broderick: Obviously, I should have prepared a non, or low tech alternative for my class.

·         Laura: I should have checked everything before my class started. Now I usually get my assistant to check everything is working before I go in there.

·         Robert: I need to get more familiar with using technology, but it is still very new to me. I have only recently taken a class in my masters course that has introduced me to many tools that I have never even heard of.

9. Do you find technology helps or hinders learning for your students?

·         Melodi: Definitely helps, although there are time when it hindered learning when they started getting to distracted and off task, instant messaging, when I allow them to use their phones for an activity.

·         Broderick: Oh I find it benefits and helps them because students today don’t just want technology, but they expect it in the classroom. It helps get and keep their attention.

·         Laura: Helps! I could NOT do my music class without the help of the magic pc, projector and speakers!

·         Robert: It helps when the technology is working and everything is going smoothly and as planned(chuckles).

10. What future digital tools would you like to see/ use?

·         Melodi: Can I say virtual reality technology? Am I too far off?...hahahaha.

·         Broderick: I’d like to see the Google Glasses and see how I could use that in my class.

·         Laura: I would love to see holograms that the kids could interact with them and have a more interactive class.

·         Robert: A easier and user friendly tool in all technology and apps, so people like me can have an easier time using it in the classroom.

Sample Lesson Plan

Teaching Weather and Temperature

·         Level: Beginner – Low intermediate

·         Age: Elementary – University

·         Description: Students will learn about weather, temperature, and extreme weather conditions vocabulary and how to make simple sentences/questions describing the weather. They will be tested on their knowledge at the end of the lesson with a fun game with a Gangnam Style theme.

·         Objective: To learn the vocabulary and make simple sentences/questions about weather or temperature.

Lesson:
1.         Teacher will explain all the weather and temperature vocabulary such as, “It is sunny, it is windy, it is 25 degrees Celsius, etc.” (15 mins)

2.         After the teacher explains all the terms s/he will move on to extreme weather vocabulary and do a small weather worksheet found below. (10 mins)

3.         When they are done and the students will be put into 4 different groups and we will start the Gangnam style game on PowerPoint. See PPT attachment (3 mins)

4.         The teacher explains the game and plays game with the students. (20 mins)

5.         The teacher reviews the lesson. (5 mins)

Rubric:
Student Name:     ________________________________________

CATEGORY
4
3
2
1
Preparedness
Brings needed materials to class and is always ready to work.
Almost always brings needed materials to class and is ready to work.
Almost always brings needed materials but sometimes needs to settle down and get to work.
Often forgets needed materials or is rarely ready to get to work.
Working with Others
Almost always listens to, shares with, and supports the efforts of others. Tries to keep people working well together.
Usually listens to, shares, with, and supports the efforts of others. Does not cause "waves" in the group.
Often listens to, shares with, and supports the efforts of others, but sometimes is not a good team member.
Rarely listens to, shares with, and supports the efforts of others. Often is not a good team player.
Contributions
Routinely provides useful ideas when participating in the group and in classroom discussion. A definite leader who contributes a lot of effort.
Usually provides useful ideas when participating in the group and in classroom discussion. A strong group member who tries hard!
Sometimes provides useful ideas when participating in the group and in classroom discussion. A satisfactory group member who does what is required.
Rarely provides useful ideas when participating in the group and in classroom discussion. May refuse to participate.
Focus on the task
Consistently stays focused on the task and what needs to be done. Very self-directed.
Focuses on the task and what needs to be done most of the time. Other group members can count on this person.
Focuses on the task and what needs to be done some of the time. Other group members must sometimes nag, prod, and remind to keep this person on-task.
Rarely focuses on the task and what needs to be done. Lets others do the work.

Analysis of Lesson Plan:
I have tried this lesson plan before and it has been one of the most successful, and fun activities in my classroom. Gangnam Style is recognized by all my students as it is a relatively modern song and the animation makes it fun and engaging. My students really learn all the material without having to study it because they are more entertained and focused on winning the game, but in reality they are trying really hard to learn the different vocabulary and sentence structure.
The only extra thing I would add is a Prezi or PowerPoint to go with the lesson instead of writing everything on the board. Everything else about this lesson plan is very effective and enhancing my students’ learning in a very entertaining way.



No comments:

Post a Comment