Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Teach Now (Teacher Certification): Instructional Goals for Selecting Digital Tools

Module 3 Unit 4 Activity 1



Instructional Goals for Selecting Digital Tools
As an educator in the 21sts century, I have been implementing digital tools in my classroom regularly but I have realized that those tools are not always needed to teach my students. I have to discern how technology is helping my students learn and understand, as opposed to just using it because it is entertaining for them. It has to have a useful purpose.
When I plan for my lessons I have set goals or objectives. These objectives help me not get of task when I am teaching and it also helps the students achieve their goals. These objectives have to be clear for the students. When setting objectives, educators should analyze what they and the students will be doing, what the learners will be able to do, what conditions it will take for the learner to be able to do it, and how well it is going to get done.
When technology is applied properly, it really helps the students learn, motivates them to look for more information, share it with others, think critically, and solve problems.
One example of technology being a useful tool for class is if the students were put in groups and need to find information on a given topic such as current events. With their phones they could have access to news around the world (not only from the Korean newspapers) and could possibly find different angles to the same story. Obviously the teacher would be there to guide them so they don’t get off track or overwhelmed with the amount of news they could find.
Basically it is best for the teacher to really think about HOW the tools will enhance students’ learning as opposed to what tools can they can just integrate in their classrooms. If a lesson is not well thought out with clear objectives, the students may end up being confused, or perhaps not be able to use the technology and their goals won’t be achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment